Get to know a little bit more about one of our top certified personal trainers Monica Woodward.
1. What’s your favorite exercise, why? I love to compete in triathlons as exercise. That involves swimming, cycling and running. Always do what you love. If you hate doing a specific exercise, you probably won’t do it often.
2. What’s your least favorite exercise, why? Organized sports. I’ve never played soccer, softball, etc. So I never got into that as a form of exercise.
3. What’s your favorite healthy meal? I like fruits and veggies that are super fresh and seasonal! Least favorite? I hate fish and mushy, over cooked veggies.
4. What’s your favorite cheat meal? Nachos!
5. What’s your favorite motivational quote or personal mantra? I am constantly seeking new quotes and mantras for each stage of my training or season of life. I post “Quotes of the Week” on my social media to keep me focused and motivated on my goals.
6. Why did you become a certified personal trainer? I lost over 75 pounds 2009-2010 mostly doing my own research and trial/error. Many people asked me how I did it. And I learned that everyone is so different with their body types, needs, and motivation. I’ve always been a teacher in some way shape or form, so I was inspired to become a certified personal trainer. I fell in love with fitness and exercise science and made it my career.
7. What inspires you or motivates you? I an inspired by the people I surround myself with. I’ve been so lucky to train amazing clients from all walks of life; I do triathlon training with some of the hardest working athletes I’ve ever met; and my friend circle includes smart, funny, and humble people. They all inspire me to become a better trainer, athlete and friend. I am better because of them.
8. Best or favorite personal fitness moment. I have 2! 1) Losing more than 75 pounds in 2009-2010. I didn’t know I was capable of making such a lifestyle change and creating a new life I didn’t know was possible!
2) Crossing the finish line at my first triathlon in 2016. I overcame (still working on it, occasionally) fears of failure, cycling, and not being mentally, physically, and emotionally able to become a triathlete. I did it and it has changed my life!
9. Best or favorite client story? So many!!! I’ve had clients lose weight and become healthier. Some who wanted to look better in their wedding dress on their special day. A few that just needed help gaining strength so they can do day-in/day-out tasks. And a couple that have crossed finish lines at half-marathons when they couldn’t run a block months before.
10. Do you have any specific fitness goals for yourself? I want to be an old lady crossing a finish line … whatever that is 5K or maybe an Ironman. We’ll see what the future holds. But I don’t want to stop moving. Move every day, stay strong, and healthy so I can be “that lady” you see on the news doing something that many younger people don’t do.
11. Where’s your favorite place to travel/vacation? I LOVED Spain! I plan to go back in the next couple of years!
12. Do you exercise when you travel? Or just relax? Yes and yes! I love active vacations. Whether its walking a lot sightseeing or racing (yes, I do that on a vacation) it’s a great way to fully experience your surroundings. Afterwards, we take a moment, lay back and kick the feet up and soak it all in and relax!
13. What’s your favorite movie? I love movies! My “favorite” list is probably about 100 movies long!
14. Do you listen to music when working out? Genre? I do listen to music for some training sessions. I have a FAST playlist for speedy running. Rap, 80s, top 40. Anything that is upbeat and gives me that extra push. When I’m cycling or running without music, I typically have a song in my head on repeat!
15. If you had a different career, what would it be? A chef. I wouldn’t want to cook in a restaurant kitchen, but I love to know how to make healthy gourmet meals have some awesome knife skills.
16. Do you have any special skills or unique hobbies (unrelated to fitness)? I’m not sure if this would be a skill, but I love pop culture so I’m good a pointless trivia.
17. More about me … I am a Native Texan. Moved to Richmond in early 2012. I’ve been married to the love of my life since 2000. He is an accomplished athlete and is a great support to me in my triathlon endeavors. I love my two sweet pups, Roxy and Ripley.
To schedule a consultation with Monica or to discuss personal training options, contact us for more information.