Get to know a little bit more about one of our top certified personal trainers Michele Nierle.
1. What’s your favorite exercise, why? Yoga, because there are so many options within the yoga practice of how to take care of myself.
2. What’s your favorite healthy meal? Salad with nuts, berries, cheese
3. What’s your favorite cheat meal? I love ice cream, but I don’t call it cheating, I call it bliss.
4. What’s your favorite motivational quote or personal mantra? “Everything is a gift. The degree to which we are awake to this truth is a measure of our gratefulness, and gratefulness is a measure of our aliveness.” – David Steindl-Rast
5. Why did you become a yoga instructor? I’ve had great teachers and lots of practice in my life so far, and it is important that it is passed on to others, so others might benefit from that which has been so meaningful in my life.
6. What inspires you or motivates you? Nature, birds, my husband’s love, the wisdom of older adults.
7. Best or favorite personal fitness moment. A memorable moment was when I was taking a yoga class with a shoulder injury. I really had to modify my practice, which made me upset, to the point of tears. Then, a shift occurred: I got the message that I needed to love and care for the injury, that being upset at it wasn’t helping anything. I chose in that moment to embrace all of it, the parts that felt good and the parts that didn’t feel so good, and that was pivotal in my approach to dealing with discomfort.
8. Best or favorite client story? I remember meeting an animal-loving client at a woodland park, assuming this would be a fine place to meet. After we got deeper into the woods, she said something like, “Michele, where have you brought me?!?! This is scary and we might get eaten by bears!” We had a great laugh, and I then learned that, while she loved animals, she did not want to be anywhere close to where they might be in the wild!
9. Do you have any specific fitness goals for yourself? As I get older, I seem to carry the family torch of fear of heights, and I’d like to reverse that. This means I have to start getting around things that require heights, like ladders, or rock climbing, etc.! Eek!
10. Where’s your favorite place to travel/vacation? Ideally anywhere around 65-85 degrees.
11. Do you exercise when you travel? Or just relax? Depends what my body needs. Usually there’s lots of walking and some yoga mixed in.
12. Do you listen to music when working out? Genre? Sometimes I’ll play instrumental, like Ludovico Einaudi (amazing pianist) for motivation.
13. If you had a different career, what would it be? Unitarian Universalist Minister
14. Do you have any special skills or unique hobbies (unrelated to fitness)? I love to sing! I am getting better at simplifying my life, and I am becoming a better listener.
15. Give a small description about the things you love in your life. I have a best friend in my husband. I love the springtime and being outside in the morning. I am fortunate to surround myself with inspiring people and nature.
To schedule a consultation with Michele or to discuss yoga instruction options, contact us for more information.